Tuesday, January 31, 2012

So I thought today would be too dull to document, and along comes a new translation of the Kama Sutra.  Dwight Garner is (predictably) over the moon (pardon the pun), and remarks as every reviewer inevitably does, that the book is as much societal rule-mongering as play-by-play sex coaching.
Here's the link http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/books/the-kama-sutra-newly-translated.html?ref=books

I had thought to include a link to something suitably tangy like mango chutney, but then I came across this recipe for Korean shortribs by Padma Lakshmi from Oprah's website, and honestly, I don't know if the ribs are worth a damn, but Ms. Lakshmi's description of where and how she discovered and enjoys them (in Manhattan's Koreatown after her trip to a "bathhouse") is pretty choice.  Here's an excerpt; stir in one generous heap of sea salt and enjoy:

"I still go to the bathhouse, and I always revive myself after being pummeled, steamed, oiled and baked in the sauna for two hours (looking good is exhausting) by sampling one of the many Korean barbeque joints in the area.  My friends roll their eyes, telling me the point of going through that kind of medieval torture is to be more svelte and here I am with a plate of ribs piled high.  But I can't resist."                                                                 

Ah, yes, well, something's piled high here.  Here's the link to Padma's ribs http://www.oprah.com/food/Padma-Lakshmis-BBQ-Korean-Short-Ribs  To buy her line of baloney, simply gaze at the photo above and repeat softly but intensely, I know it's true, I know it's true, I know it's true.....

 
And back to our reading:  Book reports due bright and early Sunday morning.  Curfew 4 a.m. sharp.

No comments:

Post a Comment