Sunday, February 19, 2012

Truth be not proud.

Yes, Clooney is mooney for me.
Declare our love or deny it--which
is the greater crime?
It's time to come clean.  The reason George Clooney is lonely (see February 16 post) is because I broke off our affair all those years ago.  It was an intense idyll passionate beyond the wildest imagining, only I'd just come off my ground-breaking effort defining the human genome, and then there was my sculpture exhibit opening at MoMA.  George desperately wanted us to get married and have kids, but I guess it just wasn't the right time for me. 


In related news, Jonathan Turley has an interesting piece in the Washington Post about Xavier Alvarez and his case which the Supreme Court is scheduled to hear on Wednesday, which will decide if Alvarez will become a felon for falsely declaring himself a recipient of the Medal of Honor.  The Stolen Valor Act of 2004 makes lying about such a thing a criminal offense, whether or not the lie is used to defraud other people of money (traditionally how and why liars are prosecuted).  Turley argues that the law is an overreach and a violation of the First Amendment.

Interestingly, the judge who disagrees with that view is Jay Bybee who, before he became a judge was the assistant attorney general at the Justice Department and author of the "torture memos" which even the Bush administration later retracted.  Turley writes "that form of falsehood, however, appears protected--the Justice Department didn't even report Bybee to his bar association."

I know.  You thought I was going to tell you more about Our Great Love Affair, how it was George and I together who first found his fabulous Italian villa, and exactly what we did and how many times we did in our sailboat atop the gleaming waters of Lake Como...or in the soft undulating hammock under the shade of those all-knowing olive trees.


 Sorry.  I've said too much already.

Here's the link to Turley's piece:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/lying-about-winning-a-medal-of-honor-its-shameful--but-it-shouldnt-be-a-crime/2012/02/16/gIQAhpNFKR_story_2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment